Can’t Help Falling In Love With…

The Return of Animal Behavior!

Guest Post By EMMA BROWN ’19

Welcome to Animal Behavior 2018! After the eventful happenings of last Thursday evening, the arrival of baby chicks to dorms and homes was a much-appreciated change of scene. Below is a picture of my chick, Franz Ferdinand, who has a certain fondness for cuddling and attempting to roost in my hair. (Currently, as I type, Ferdi is making his best efforts to turn my attention away from my laptop by means of walking all over the keys.)

This weekend has been devoted to getting our chicks prepared for an obstacle course on Monday. This will test the strength of the filial imprinting process for each chick. At this age, chicks imprint almost immediately. After all, they’re just barely a few days old! As to provide a protective figure for them, it is important to bond with your chick early on. I have been doing this by feeding, cuddling, talking and singing to, and spending as much time with Ferdi as possible. Additionally, as chicks are attracted to the color red, I’ve been wearing solely red shirts for the past few days in true, traitorous Exonian form. (Love knows no bounds.)

Come back next week to see how my Elvis-ballad-loving chick performed for his debut race!

Author: pascienceblog

Administrative Assistant, Division of Natural Sciences