Mornings with MAC – Faulk Edition

Get to Know Your Science Faculty with your Weekly Installment of Mornings with MAC!

GUEST POST BY MICHAEL CODRINGTON ’18

Mornings with MAC logoOn this week’s Mornings with MAC, we have former Andover student and Chemistry Department Chair, Mr. Faulk. Brian Faulk was Andover class of 2000, having shared parts of his Andover experience with many faculty including Natalie Wombwell ‘01 and Terrell Ivory ‘00.

Faulk taught my last term of Chemistry 250, and definitely offered a challenge. Gifting me the nickname MC3+, after one of the ions we worked with, it’s safe to say me and Mr. Faulk had a good relationship. I sat down with him during his morning coffee to ask him some questions.

FA 3075722 Faulk, BrianMC: What do you teach at Andover?
BF: Are you recording me?

MC: Yes I am – hahaha!
BF: I teach all levels of chemistry, primarily chem 250 and organic chemistry.

MC: How long have you been working at Andover?
BF: I’ve worked here for 10 years.

MC: What brought you here?
BF: As a student I was really inspired by my teachers not just my classroom teachers but my coaches and my academic advisor. I thought it’d be cool to come back and serve in those roles as a faculty member.

MC: Where did you go to college? What did you study?
BF: I went to Stanford to study chemistry and Harvard for grad school to study chemistry.

MC: What is your favorite thing about Andover?
BF: I think my favorite thing is the people – both students and faculty, it’s a really rich and vibrant community and that makes it fun to come to work everyday.

MC: If you weren’t studying/teaching chemistry, what other discipline would you be in?
BF: History. Probably history – I love history and I’d probably do something with the Civil War.

MC: What’s your favorite movie?
BF: What?

MC: What is your favorite movie?
BF: I really like Patton.

MC: Like the General?
BF: Yeah, they won an Academy Award. It was a great film.

MC: Do you consider yourself an easy or hard teacher?
BF: I’m sure the students would say I’m difficult. I have high expectations, but I always want to do what’s best for the students. I want to coach them along to learn as much as possible.

MC: What’s one thing that a lot of people don’t know about you?Snapchat-1945347321
BF: I think it’s probably that I love history, and it’s my passion. Sometimes I wish I was a history teacher. I read a lot of history magazines in my free time.

MC: I understand you went to Andover. How was that experience and who was your favorite teacher from when you were a student?
BF: It was tough at times, but I certainly learned a lot, how to work and manage my time, how to ask for help. It prepared me everything after. I think my favorite teacher was Henningsen, recently retired. He was just really good and brilliant. A great historian and a great teacher.

Author: pascienceblog

Administrative Assistant, Division of Natural Sciences