Mornings with MAC – Artacho Edition

Get to Know Your Science Faculty with your Weekly Installment of Mornings with MAC!

GUEST POST BY MICHAEL CODRINGTON ’18Mornings with MAC logo

Last week on Mornings with MAC, I interviewed my former teacher and biology department chair, Leon Holley. This week, we’re sticking with teachers that I have had the pleasure of being taught by.

Carolina Artacho Guerra is in her second year as a teacher of robotics and physics. She has 3 sections of Physics 270 (including my 4th period one) and 1 section of Physics 400. In the fall, she taught robotics, a senior elective, and she took some time before class on Tuesday to sit and chat with me.

MC: What brought you here?FA 3688753 Artacho Guerra, Carolina
CA: Honestly, the students. When I came in, I was not sure about the fit and it was all new and I sat in Ms. Odden’s astronomy class but she wasn’t there because she was sick. Her students were there though and they showed me around and were super nice, they talked about their projects. We even went to the observatory and they were so welcoming and willing to talk about their projects and I just thought yeah this is it, this would be great.

MC: Where did you go to college? What did you study?
CA: I did my undergrad Bryn Mawr college a small all-women’s liberal arts college in..

MC: New York 
CA: Philadelphia

MC: Dang I was close – hahaha
CA: Hahahaha – points for effort close enough, but yeah I did my graduate work when I was working full time at the University of Connecticut. I majored in physics and bilingual science education.

MC: What is your favorite thing about Andover?
CA: The students. I think that’s why, I hope that’s why, we all enjoy teaching. It’s the hardest job I’ve ever had to do. Seeing students grow from September to now is so rewarding. Day to day interactions with students and getting to know them and stuff, it’s just really fun. And Andover students just go above and beyond. They’re so willing to engage and trust me. It’s really fun and enjoying.

MC: If you weren’t studying/teaching physics, what other discipline would you be in?
CA: Ahhh I don’t even know. I’d say anything that requires lots of thinking and working.

MC: Like chess?
CA: What? Hahaha – chess?

MC: I didn’t know what the criteria was – I know feel like you weren’t thinking about chess – Hahahaha! 
CA: No, not chess. Umm oh… like.. maybe like, I did a bunch of theater work before kids. I did a lot of dance theater stuff just for fun. I really liked the techy aspect of it. Also computer programming, like programming, website design.

MC: What’s your favorite movie?
CA: Oh good lord that’s so hard… you guys always ask me this, like every term and I give you a different answer every time. So, anything by Hiromi Ozaki is always beautiful and has great storylines. Those new superhero movies are great. When I’m feeling feisty I love things like Hedwig and the Angry Inch, like I love the genre that challenges gender stereotypes. I’m a sucker for everything Disney even though as a feminist I find obvious problems with certain things.

MC: That’s fair – hahaha
CA: Yeah it’s a recurring thing – hahaha – does that answer your question?

MC: Yes. Do you consider yourself an easy or hard teacher?
CA: I guess it depends what you’re talking about. So, I’m pretty chill and relaxed about things you know, deadlines are not too important for me, I put a lot of faith in the fact that students are making good decisions and doing what they’re supposed to be doing. I understand that there’s a lot of things going on in your life. That being said, you can’t be disrespectful in my class. There’s a very clear line you know. I mean you would probably be better off asking my students about this.

MC: What’s one thing that a lot of people don’t know about you?
CA: When I was a high schooler, I was the shyest, quietest most reserved person. I had this very small group of nerdy quiet friends and that was fine, I had no problem with it, I’ve just become more outgoing and exuberant throughout the years.

MC: Have I been your best student ever? 
CA: Define best.Snapchat-1455432555

MC: Like number 1 ever, like if you had to rank me.
CA: Well, when we met for our midterm conference, you gave me very honest great answers and you come in and you’re goofy and playful but you engage and bring your whole persona to the class.

MC: Andover or Milton?
CA: Oh Andover, easily, I mean I’m here right.

MC: Thank you very much I’ll see you later.
CA: Did you do the homework?

MC: …. Bye Ms. Artacho!

Author: pascienceblog

Administrative Assistant, Division of Natural Sciences