Brace Student Fellow Presentation: Katherine Wang

brace-poster

Over the summer, I was able to undertake a Brace Center research fellowship about the gender bias in medicine and biomedical research. Last year, my biology teacher Dr. Kemp shared with the class an article about the bias (https://psmag.com/is-medicine-s-gender-bias-killing-young-women-4cab6946ab5c#.2f5iidt11) and the topic really struck a chord with me. I knew about the bias concerning the representation of women in STEM fields, but I wasn’t really aware that women were literally dying due to a bias about diagnosis and treatment. I wanted to learn more, and that’s what the Brace fellowship allowed me to do!

I began last spring by brainstorming with my project advisor, Dr. Kemp, and by working with Ms. Tompkins, a librarian at the OWHL. I began to gather my resources, and this is where I began to feel overwhelmed. I wanted to encompass so much information, and the OWHL provided endless resources. When summer finally began, I went through my resources and picked out only what I needed. I ended up reading online articles, books, scientific articles, journals, and news stories about the gender bias. The outlining portion of the project was challenging because it was the time I had to really organize my thoughts into a cohesive argument. What did I want to say with all of this information? After a full month of reading and processing, I came to a conclusion (with the help of Dr. Kemp, who was tremendously helpful in her emails) that it was the flawed application of the scientific method that lead to improper treatment of women. Now came the task of drafting a paper that elucidated that argument.

At the end of July, while drafting, I was surprised at how unmotivated I was to do my project! Dr. Kemp and Dr. Vidal (the director of the Brace Center) agreed, having both completed PhD dissertations, that even if you’re initially excited about a topic, you can get tired with it. Once I pushed myself to finish drafting, I got great feedback from Dr. Kemp, and that incited me to revise. On Monday, November 7th, from 5-6:30 PM,  I presented this research in the Brace Center! I hope people are interested by this topic– you don’t have to identify as female, be interested in medicine, or be curious about gender theory.

Author: pascienceblog

Administrative Assistant, Division of Natural Sciences